What are the Top Facial Concerns & Treatment Preferences for American Women?
Women and men alike are taking greater care of themselves nowadays. We are taking greater care of our grooming so that we can present the best of ourselves to others, to be always radiant and youthful.
Credit: HD Image Lib
An interesting research survey titled “Facial treatment preferences in Aesthetically Aware Women” was published recently in the journal of Dermatologic Surgery in April 2015. This survey showed for the very first time what female American patients are most interested in “fixing first “ to improve their facial appearance.
A total of 603 aesthetically oriented American women, age 30-65 years, were included in this online research survey.
The study focused on the following main objectives:
- To rank the 14 facial areas (see Fig 1 for details) that women most likely to have aesthetic treatment.
- To understand the relationship between the most bothersome facial area and the area first planned for treatment.
- To see if there were differences in treatment preference between younger and older women.
The survey results showed that:
Women of All Age Group have most concern on the following Facial Area:
(Please see Fig 1 below for reference)
- Crow’s feet lines : area (D)
- Oral commissures (down turning of the angle of the mouth): area (K)
- Tear trough (hollow area below the eye): area (E)
Women 50 years old and above have more concern on their Lower Face Area:
- Smile lines / nasolabial folds, Area (G)
- Wrinkles around the mouth/Marinette lines, Area (H)
- Sagging jowl, Area (L)
- Women 45 years old and below have more concern on their Upper Face Area, area representing the early signs of aging:
- Crow’s feet lines, Area (D)
- Tear trough, Area (E)
- Frown lines, Area (B)
- Forehead lines, Area (A)
- The Most Preferred Areas of Treatment for All Women are :
(Please see Fig 2. below for details)
- Crow’s feet lines : 82% indicated this area as their most preferred area for treatment
- Oral commissures : 74%
- Tear trough : 72%
- Forehead Lines : 66%
- Glabellar Lines : 65%
Fig 2. A visual comparison of the facial features that were most likely to be treated first in the 30- to 34-year and 60- to 65 year age groups.
However, the design of the survey did not include other aesthetic concerns like skin tone, color (e.g. pigmentation) and texture (e.g. acne scarring) correction.
These findings concur with my practice of aesthetic dermatology in the clinic. Young women in Singapore have similar concerns about facial areas where lines and wrinkles appear and stay. For example, the crow’s feet lines, tear trough, frown lines and forehead lines. They mainly wanted to get rid of these lines to maintain their youthfulness or to improve their facial harmony. The availability of botulinum toxin and dermal fillers treatment, to address these aging signs safely and affordably, have make it easier for women to embrace them these days.
Credit: Mario Badescu
Older women (> 50 years old) in Singapore are also more concerned about the aging signs of their lower face. As women age, they are less concerned about upper facial lines because these lines have become consistent with their self-image and that of their peers. What bother them the most are the sagging skin changes of the lower face. For example, the smile lines, Marinette lines and sagging jowl. In these areas, the skillful use of botulinum toxin and fillers injections at the right place has continuously delivered wonders. Many women have taken up these aesthetic injections to pamper themselves and went home happy.
In summary, younger women seek aesthetic treatments to retain a youthful appearance, whereas older women seek treatment with the aim of softening the sagging and wrinkled appearance. That is why the first line treatment for doctors to treat these aesthetic concerns is still botulinum toxin & dermal fillers injections because they directly address these concerns safely and effectively.
Saturdays: 9am to 12.30pm
Sundays & Public Holidays: Closed